Not sure how or why, but who am I to question the wisdom of the gods? I think I have finally figured out the mix I need of gels, gatorade and Endurolytes. I took 2 Endurolytes before I got to practice, and had one of those Powerbar Double Latte gels, and a bit of water. Breakfast was a cup of coffee (seriously, it’s necessary when it’s 5 a.m. in the morning when you are getting up), a bowl of cereal with mixed dried fruit added, and a Yoplait yougurt, with a glass of V8. And guess what I had for dinner last night? Here’s the strange part. Country Pad Thai. It must have a ton of carbs. It was my meal two weeks ago before our 12 miler, when I felt good, so last night on my way home, I asked my husband if we could get takeout from Mango II and we did. Needless to say I will be eating Pad Thai, every Friday from now on. So yep, it may all seem weird thrown together but it seemed to work for me.

There were only two of us at practice today training for half marathons, although there were two other girls not running as far as us, because they are running the Dublin Marathon and its date is much later. The other girl ran 14, I think, and I ran 15. Well, my Garmin said 14.88 at the end, but you know what? I’m not quibbling. I’ll take it!

All together, it was 2:53 today but that included each of my breaks with two ladies’ room trips. Also, I felt much better changing my shirt halfway (seeing as I sweat buckets, I’m not shy, I will admit it!) Bill will have to have a shirt waiting for me in October, halfway!

Mentally today, I think I was in the right frame of mind. When thoughts of work threatened to push their way in, and I felt it start to stress me out a bit, I imagined myself literally pushing it away and it helped. I did a visualizing trick from the Running Within book and imagined myself “floating” up hills, with balloons tied to my wrists, and just kept repeating the word “floating” to myself and it WORKED! I just kept telling myself over and over to keep on going, and it felt good. I admit I was tired toward the end, and the knees started to hurt a bit but that makes sense. Now, this afternoon, I don’t feel as wiped out as I did last week, but I’m sure I will sleep pretty soundly tonight and I’ll go to bed early.

Oh, and another thing that seemed to help. The first 3 or 4 miles of our route, I usually hate because it seems never ending. Today I realized most of it is downhill. I was like “this is awesome!” And it actually didn’t seem that bad on the way back – then I kept telling myself it was just “flat.” 🙂 Our route has us run from a town called Wakefield, through Lynnfield, MA (think Olympic skater Nancy Kerrigan‘s home and many others that are VERY nice), into Saugus and back.

Just hoping this kind of day happens on October 5th at the Maine Marathon! Oh, and I forgot to mention, I am registered (officially!) for the Women’s Maine Coast Half-Marathon on Sept. 21st!!

Oh, and a huge thank you to Penny, aka SouthBay Girl. You are a freakin’ genius! I bought a pair of those Injinji socks and they worked like a charm! They are funky to put on, but no rubbing as of this morning – woohoo!

Happy Running everyone, I’m taking it easy for the rest of the day. BIG SMILES RIGHT HERE.