Or, trying to anyway. I woke up this morning a bit after 5, my usual time for our Saturday runs.  I tried to have my usual breakfast  of coffee (seriously, it’s needed, ask my sister-in-law, Sue – she’ll tell you how scary I am without it), and a bagel with peanut butter.  I did not feel good, at all. That was before running. I seriously debated staying home, and trying to run on my own later on, but we all know how hard it can be to run by yourself, especially in the middle of the day, so I did go to the team practice.

I was going to run 8 miles with the one other guy who wanted to do the longer distance. After one of our mentors, Nick, caught up with him and I after about 2 miles, they seemed to be getting along fine, and I was feeling like crap again – quite tired, and the stomach not so settled.   I told them I was only going to do 6 instead.  My thinking was “this is not September, it’s not the day of the race, so there’s no reason that I can think of to push myself today when I don’t feel good.”  So, I ended up running part of the way with a very nice girl, Charlene. She’s just started running recently, and I knew I should have been able to keep up with her, but I needed to walk today. Twice. My team mentor, Dave, saw me walking and I think I worried him for a bit since he knows I can run much further, but eventually I was able to start up again. (By the way, if you’re reading this, Dave, thank you very much.)

Here’s how I know it was my stomach this morning, and I think, the accumulated stress and lack of sleep from this past week – I tried using the plain GU, and even that made me nauseous. I saw a bunch of weeds off to the side of the road and seriously thought to myself, “I could throw up in those if I need to, and this Gu just might make me do it.” I have been using Gu for over a year now, it’s never had that effect on me at all. I did realize though at this point, I had drunk a lot of the powerade in my camelbak, and maybe a bit too much.  Again, that never bothers me either.

So for the rest of the day, I am going to take it quite easy and eat some plain stuff like cereal. And maybe take a nap, which is completely out of bizarro world for me. Normally I can have a stomach of steel, but not today. Such is life.

One thing I was glad for – once my stomach settled back down, I was able to jog back the last 2 or 2.5 miles, I think, and catch up to this guy Chris, who was having a really hard day. I got him to start up again on the hill, and finish with me.  We all went out for breakfast afterward, so that was cool, we got to talk with each other, which we don’t normally have much time to do. We’re all running different distances and paces.

Sorry to be a downer today, folks. I hope you all had better runs than me! (especially Robert in Illinois, who just started his team training today for this year’s Chicago Marathon!)